Tuesday 6 March 2018

I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want!

The other day I listened to my daughter as she picked up the phone, dialled her bank and started to explain what she wanted done for an automatic payment to go to into my account.  She was polite, completely engaged and knew exactly what she wanted.  I have to say that I was impressed. 

She explained that she had special needs and that her benefit covered so much but that she wanted to make sure an extra $5.00 went into her Mum's account so as she could pay back the money she borrowed. She knew exactly what to do and how to do it.

It started me thinking about all the things our kids know how to do and how so many manage, to get by in the world.  There is so much they can do and understand, but the potential for failure and the potential for being misunderstood, not to mention the potential for fallout from unthought-out consequences is high.  Which means that someone in their lives must be one step ahead the whole time. 

My daughter likes to go shopping, wants to have lay-bys, wants to buy presents for everyone,  The consequences don't matter to her because she lives in the here and now.  Warnings about  running into a lot of debt simply pass her by because there's always another payday, The idea of saving money is an anathema to her - what good is putting money aside to spend later when you can spend it today?  Her idea of saving money is to buy from op-shops (and who can argue with that)!

The concept of something unforeseen such as a vet fee for the cat, an unplanned visit to the doctor, a need to go to the dentist, or to make sure there is catfood in the cupboard at the end of the week, is as absurd to her as water-divining.  Much better to rush out and buy the boyfriend a Valentine's Day present in the hope of getting something in return!

She's quite happy that her bank balance comes in as zero each month as it's better to owe money in lay-buys, or 'next month' for the doctor, than to see money resting fretfully in her bank account.

It's difficult to argue with mainly because she will agree with everything I say... then go out and do exactly as she pleases.  And, I have to say that I am fully expecting the $5.00 per week to be uninstated any time now!

There's always another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.